Office of Nuclear Safety Basis & Facility Design(HS-31)
Reports to the Office of Nuclear Safety
The Office of Nuclear Safety Basis & Facility Design establishes safety basis and facility design requirements and expectations related to analysis and design of nuclear facilities to ensure protection of workers and the public from the hazards associated with nuclear operations. The Office works proactively with headquarters and field offices to foster continuous improvement and nuclear safety excellence. In addition, the Office provides high quality, customer-oriented assistance that enables improved DOE program and field implementation of nuclear safety requirements.
- Develops and maintains DOE policy and requirements for the analysis and design of nuclear facilities. This includes DOE Nuclear Safety Policy, requirements, and guidance for safety bases, facility nuclear safety design, and criticality safety as defined in 10 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 830 subpart B and supporting guidance and standards, and DOE nuclear facility safety Order and associated guides and standards.
- Serves as the corporate assistance resource for interpretation and guidance on existing and emerging nuclear safety requirements including requirements related to criticality safety, authorization basis, and safety systems.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the implementation of nuclear safety basis and facility design requirements in accomplishing the Department's nuclear safety policy and recommends adjustments and improvements resulting from feedback from surveys, line management assessments, and independent oversight reviews.
- Provides recommendations regarding requests for alternative methods other than the safe harbor methodologies in Table 2 to Appendix A of 10 CFR 830 for implementation of the nuclear safety regulation.
- Reviews exemption requests from nuclear safety basis and facility design requirements.
- Works closely with the Office of Departmental Representative to interface with the Defense Nuclear Facilities Safety Board (DNFSB) on safety basis and facility design requirements issues. Assists the Office of Departmental Representative in responding to the DNFSB on safety basis and facility design requirements.
- Works closely with the Energy Facility Contractors Group (EFCOG), in particular the Safety Analysis Working Group (SAWG) and Engineering Practices Working Group (EPWOG). Coordinates with the Office of Operational Analysis to develop strategies for evaluating the effectiveness of actions to resolve crosscutting nuclear safety basis and facility design issues.
- Interfaces with the Office of Enforcement and Oversight regarding nuclear safety basis and facility design related assessments and enforcement actions.
- Interfaces with national standard setting bodies such as American Nuclear Society (ANS) and American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) nuclear safety related issues such as nuclear facility design and criticality safety.
- Identifies Department-wide nuclear safety basis and facility safety assistance needs and opportunities. Leads communication and information exchange networks to identify site-specific as well as systemic assistance needs, prioritizes assistance activities, and resolves issues through direct interface with customers and stakeholders.
- Provides technical support to the Department's program offices and field elements in understanding how to implement safety basis and facility design requirements.
- Provides assistance to the DOE Program Offices and Field Offices through participating in assessments and other line management activities when requested.
- Provides leadership and partners with other HSS offices in developing integrated strategies for evaluating cross-cutting nuclear safety issues with line management to determine the extent of issues, their causes, and actions needed to prevent recurrence.
- Works with the National Training Center to development training on nuclear safety analysis and facility design requirements.
- Supports the Chief Health, Safety and Security Officer in his role in the Energy Systems Acquisition Advisory Board by reviewing nuclear safety design of major nuclear projects
Garrett Smith, Director