Nuclear Safety Basis
The Office of Nuclear Facility Safety Programs establishes and
maintains the DOE requirements for nuclear criticality safety.
The DOE detailed requirements for criticality safety are
contained in Section 4.3 of the DOE Order 420.1, Facility
Safety. Criticality safety requirements are based on the
documented safety analysis required by 10 CFR 830, Subpart B.
Additionally, guidance for satisfying the DOE requirements is
found in the Implementation Guide for the 830 rule and in DOE
Standard (STD) 3009-94, chapter six. DOE Guide 421-1 also provides
detailed program guidance to criticality practitioners and
Criticality Safety Contacts: Garrett Smith
The following orders, policies, and guides may be found at
The Department of
Energy's Directives Web site.
- DOE Order 420.1A, Facility Safety
- DOE G 423.1-1A, Implementation Guide for Use in Developing Technical Safety Requirements
The following technical standards may be found at the Department
of Energy's Technical Standards Web site.
- DOE-STD-3009-94, Preparation Guide for U.S. Department of Energy Nonreactor Nuclear Facility Documented Safety Analyses
- DOE-STD-3007-2007, Guidelines for Preparing Criticality
Safety Evaluations at Department of Energy Non Reactor
- DOE-STD-1135-99, Guidance for Nuclear Criticality Safety
Engineer Training and Qualification