Mission and Functions
Office of Technical Guidance
The Office of Technical Guidance
develops, promulgates, and interprets national level
policies, procedures, and guidance to identify (1)
information that must be classified or controlled
under statute or Executive order to protect the national
security, to ensure the effective operation of the
Government, or to protect the privacy interests of
individuals and (2) classified or controlled information
that may be declassified or decontrolled.
- Manages the development and interpretation of
DOE-wide technical classification and control
guidance that contains detailed instructions to
determine whether specific information is classified,
controlled, or unclassified.
- Manages the approval of local guidance developed
by field and contractor organizations to ensure
it conforms to Headquarters policy and guidance.
- Manages the development of classification and
declassification standards as required for international
agreements for cooperation under the Atomic Energy
- Manages the review and evaluation of foreign
classification policies and procedures established
under international agreements for cooperation
to ensure compliance.
- Manages the evaluation of private sector information
to determine if the Secretary of Energy needs
to make an original determination regarding new
technologies that show potential for uranium enrichment.
- Manages a continuous review of classification
policy and guidance for Restricted Data (RD) and
Formerly Restricted Data (FRD) information as
required by the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, and recommends
for approval by the Chief
Health, Safety, and Security Officer all actions
to declassify RD and FRD information.
- Develops improvements under the Guidance Streamlining
Initiative for the development, maintenance, and
use of classification guides and the Classification
- Publishes and distributes Headquarters classification
guidance, the guide index, and standards, and
the Classification Guidance System and its products.
- Conducts field liaison to promote and establish
common classification productivity objectives.