Office of Quality Management
Welcome to the Office of Quality Management
Nicholas G. Prospero, Director
Welcome to the Office of Quality Management. The Office of Quality Management develops policies and procedures to ensure the classification and control of information is effective and consistent. The Office of Quality Management also assists other Government agencies to meet the requirements contained in DOE-issued regulations concerning Restricted Data and Formerly Restricted Data. To meet these missions, the Office of Quality Management:
- Develops and revises DOE Regulations and Orders concerning Restricted Data, Formerly Restricted Data, Transclassified Foreign Nuclear Information, National Security Information, Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information, and Official Use Only
- Responds to Mandatory Declassification Review Requests under Executive Order (E.O.) 13526 for DOE Headquarters
- Reviews appeal requests concerning documents containing classified information requested under the Freedom of Information Act and E.O. 13526
- Trains all Classification Officers, Program Classification Officers, Headquarters Classification Representatives, Original Classifiers, Derivative Declassifiers and Headquarters Derivative Classifiers and UCNI Reviewing Officials
- Appoints all DOE Classification Officers, Program Classification Officers, Headquarters Classification Representatives, Original Classifiers, Derivative Declassifiers and Headquarters Derivative Classifiers and UCNI Reviewing Officials
- Assists DOE Headquarters and field organizations to meet the requirements contained in DOE directives
- Issues a periodic newsletter (the CommuniQué) to ensure current activities involving the classification and control of information and documents are conveyed to classification officials in a timely manner
- Provides support to other Government Agencies to manage Restricted Data programs
- Conducts Quality Assurance Reviews as required in the Special Historical Records Review Plan to ensure that other Government agencies are implementing the plan requirements correctly
- Conducts on-site evaluations of Headquarters, Field, and contractor elements to meet the agency self inspection requirements under 10 CRD Part 1045 and 32 CFR Part 2001.
If you have questions concerning any of these activities, please contact the Classification Program Outreach Line at
(301) 903-7567 or outreach.hq.doe.gov.