Incidents of Security Concern
HQ Incidents of Security Concern Program, 202-586-9934
Incidents of Security Concern are those events which are of concern to the DOE Safeguards
and Security Program and which warrant preliminary inquiry and subsequent reporting.
- Persons who observe, find, or have knowledge or information of a potential incident of security concern must immediately report this information to their HSO or to the Office of Headquarters Security Operations.
- Persons discovering potential incidents of security concern; those that involve classified matter, special nuclear material, or other security interests not properly controlled, must take reasonable efforts to safeguard the security interests. They must also act to ensure evidence associated with the incident is preserved.
- Persons discovering actual or suspected fraud, waste, or abuse of government resources must ensure such incidents are reported to the Office of Inspector General.
- Inquiries must be conducted to establish the facts and circumstances surrounding an incident of security concern.
- Appropriate Federal (to include the Office of Health, Safety and Security), State and local organizations must be contacted when a violation of law is suspected or discovered.
- Actions to prevent recurrence must be taken for incidents of security concern.
- The party or parties responsible for an incident of security concern must be subject to appropriate administrative actions, including disciplinary measures, retraining, counseling, or other directed actions necessary to reduce the likelihood of recurrence of the incident.
- Any disciplinary or adverse actions involving DOE employees must be conducted according to DOE directives.
- Security infractions are issued, as appropriate, to document the assignment of responsibility for an incident of security concern. Individuals, whether or not they possess an access authorization, may be issued a security infraction.